Monday, January 16, 2012

MLK Day

Like many of you, I am at home enjoying this much-needed day off.  However, I fear that, for most Americans, that is all that MLK Day represents - a day off.  And, while I am among the first to make plans and enjoy myself, I think it is also important to remember why we celebrate this holiday.  It is about more than Dr. King, more than racial dispute.  It is about the fact that, with his help, Americans were able to stay true to the essence of freedom which we claim.  Yes, it may have taken longer than it should have, but there is nothing we can can do about that now.  It is our job to continuing building on the freedom we have established.  In this vein, I have always wondered why Presidents Day is not considered holiday-worthy?  Not because I think MLK is not, but because our Founding Fathers created the nation that has made all men equal.  Because of them, Dr. King was able to lead a civil rights movement.  Even though we do not get Presidents Day off, I encourage everyone to take a few minutes to think (and, perhaps, learn) about the founding of our nation, and the exceptional gift of freedom we have been given.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/martin-luther-king-couldn-t-wait-article-1.1005981

    Quick snapshot of Dr. King's writing. I encourage you to find more sources on your own.

    ReplyDelete